Testing OAuth APIs Without Coding

While working with the LinkedIn API, I started becoming frustrated in testing my API calls. The core reason was that I couldn’t just form my URL in the web browser due to OAuth. In order to test my API calls I would have to write code to perform the call, test it out, use the VS debugger to retrieve the result to make sure the XML it’s returning is what I expect, etc.. It results in a lot of wasted time and I finally got fed up.

Introducing the ExtApi Tester

I developed a windows application to make testing API calls, especially API calls that require OAuth, to be done much simpler. I call it the ExtApi Tester.

The code can be found on GitHub. I’ve already gotten some good use out of it, and hopefully it helps someone else with their dev experience.

The code also includes an API for making it easier to call web API’s from code, but it requires some further refinement to handle the DotNetOpenAuth authorization process.

About these ads

3 responses to “Testing OAuth APIs Without Coding

    • I actually never saw Apigee before, and I searched for a tool to do what I wanted but apparently missed this. After playing around with it, apigee looks pretty good but there are some issues.

      For starters I can’t find a way to save API calls, which is important for me to be able to reference that exact api call later for reference. It looks like I might be able to do this if I pay, but I don’t think that’s a feature worth paying for. Another point is that since I don’t have access to apigee locally I cannot use it to debug or consume web services that are only internally accessible, not can I use it to test web services that I am developing locally. As a web UI it feels a bit slow to react on my work machine (especially when adding parameters).

      Finally, I can’t even tell if it’s url encoding my parameters correctly. When I add a queryString parameter with a value of “ctc:type=IMAGE”, it shows it NOT encoding it in the final querystring. I can’t actually test if the real request is actually encoding it or not (it’s an internal service, thus my last point) but instead of “querystring=ctc:type=IMAGE” it should be “querystring=ctc%3type%3dIMAGE”. Of course my test app automatically encodes this for you, so you don’t have to remember exactly what each character encodes to.

      Just some prelim thoughts while playing around. It looks to be a decent service if all you use is the mainstream, publicly available web services.

  1. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your content seem to be running off
    the screen in Safari. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know.
    The design and style look great though! Hope you get the
    issue resolved soon. Cheers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s